It’s no surprise that agrihoods across the country are winning awards for “best lifestyle communities.” According to the Urban Land Institute, “Agrihoods offer proven financial, health, and environmental benefits—to the stakeholders involved in their implementation, to surrounding communities and to the planet.”
In Welcome to the Agrihood: Housing, Shopping, and Gardening for a Farm-to-Table Lifestyle (May 2020) award-winning author Anna DeSimone details everything needed to learn about these farm-centric communities. Along with beautiful photos of homes, clubhouses, farms, and natural trails, the author takes readers on a virtual tour of agrihoods across America and includes a wealth of information on how to live, grow and shop the farm-to-table lifestyle, even if you don’t live in an agricultural neighborhood.
Welcome to the Agrihood includes a national resource directory with detailed descriptions of 90 agrihoods and lists over 2,200 farms where consumers can purchase fresh, local food or subscribe to a CSA program. With something for everyone—new homebuyers, city-dwellers, and retirees, it’s an invaluable resource that includes detailed information on:
• Sustainability: Most agrihoods have been constructed over the past ten years, so homes are sustainably built with energy-efficient features.
• Urban Agrihoods: Apartment buildings with rooftop farms, where tenants can shop for fresh food and also enjoy other amenities such as bike trails, dog parks, and on-site farm-to-table dining.
• Mixed-Use Communities: Including condominiums, rental apartments, senior-living residences, and affordable housing units. There are agrihoods which are exclusively for over-55 communities, typically offering many clubs and leisure activities.
• Shopping: Details and descriptions of On-Farm Markets, Community Supported Agriculture, and Food Hubs
• Backyard Farming: Grow your own organic food on your porch, balcony, or in your backyard with helpful tips, planting guides, and valuable resources on organic certification, food safety, biodiversity, beekeeping, soil testing, composting, and local laws.
• And more!
Buy the book:
Anna DeSimone is the author of Housing Finance 2020: New Mortgage Programs for the New Generation of Homebuyers, Silver Medalist Winner of Axiom Business Book Awards in Personal Finance, Retirement Planning and Investing. She is a nationally recognized expert in housing finance, and author of more than 40 professional guidebooks and over 600 articles on the topic of fair and responsible lending. In 1986, she founded Bankers Advisory, a mortgage compliance audit services company, acquired by Clifton Larson Allen LLP in 2014. She has been a featured entrepreneur by Forbes Magazine and Bloomberg Markets, named one of Housing Wire‘s Women of Influence, and has received awards from Acquisitions International and Wealth and Finance Magazine. DeSimone frequently provides expert commentary for news articles published by national media including: Apartment Therapy, Forbes.com, Boston Globe, Chicago Tribune, Dallas Business Journal, Log Home Living, Michigan Chronicle, Newsday, The Penny Hoarder, Source Weekly, The Simple Dollar, and The Washington Post.